Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bend: The Greenstone Center for Rejuvenation, Restoration, and Healthy/Adventurous Living


After my energetic welcome from Lily (13) and Arielle (5), I received a tour of the Greenstone home, which feels much like their home in Fallbrook—soothing colors, Lori’s art decorating every room, inspiring quotes and sayings on the walls, and the smell of something homemade simmering the crock pot (this time, applesauce). From their front room windows, I could see the Three Sisters (a mountain cluster with Bachelor and the Cascades farther off in the distance). 


For dinner, John prepared ahi tuna, mashed cauliflower, and sweet potatoes, accompanied with a local pinot noir. When the John and Lori’s sons, Scott (19) and Andrew (16), came home, I was astounded at how much they had grown from teenagers into young men. A year and a half didn’t seem like so long until I noticed how much the kids had changed. After dinner, Lori and I had chocolate and wine on her fabulous lavender awkwardly shaped couch until we made our way into her art studio, where Arielle positioned herself at her own special table behind us to create a work of natural artistic ability while Scott’s singing and piano echoed through the halls beyond the door… it still felt like nothing had changed much other than locale. As per usual, Arielle and I had our slumber party, where Teddy, a giant stuffed bear Arielle napped on during dinner, joined us in our little bed. Just before falling asleep, Arielle says, “I am so excited we get to sleep together.” Love her.


The next morning, Lily woke us up to come for breakfast. John had made cranberry, orange, and pumpkin scones, and Lori served me up some Chia-seed pudding. Lori and I then drove to the Old Mill shopping center, which is along the Deschutes river. Lori works at REI and had to attend a meeting, so I posted up at the Organic Coffee café to do some reading (Measure for Measure). After about an hour, it started to rain, and just as I looked up to see Lori walking in the café to join me, there was a rainbow filling the sky through the windows. This is likely a regular occurrence in the Pacific Northwest, since I saw countless rainbows in Portland and on my drive to Bend. After another coffee, we took a walk through downtown Bend, stopping into the library, poking in some of the local artisan shops, and admiring the old buildings with gorgeous exposed brick. 



We walked along the DesChutes river for a bit, admiring the myriad of fall colors lingering on the trees and making their way to the ground. 



Around noon, Lori took me on my first ever mountain biking excursion on Kent's Trail. After giving me a thorough explanation of rules to live by when mountain biking, Lori felt ready to unleash me into the trails. After a quick laugh at my putting the gloves on backwards, we headed out into the forest. Mountain biking was thrilling. At one point, Lori said, “Just let yourself go.” If only it were so easy! At first, I dreaded going uphill, until I realized that the only thing more terrifying than facing the uphill climb is facing the uncontrollable speed of downhill. Eventually, I got the hang of it. I got better at assessing the terrain. I got better at keeping my eye ahead of me, willing myself to go where I wanted to go instead of focusing on the here and immediate (a certain way to get yourself in a wreck). When large obstacles came, like trees or rocks or bushes, sometimes I had push off of them to propel myself forward. When the path became too dangerous, sometimes I had to step off and choose a different route. When the smaller obstacles covered the path, I had to bend my knees and hobble along until things smoothed out again. When I gained momentum and glided along, I had to remind myself to be cautious for what could lie ahead. As with any sport that affords you an hour of silence, pristine nature, and mental/physical challenges, I started to see the sport, like many things in life, as a set of principles to take beyond the trail. At one point, Lori said to me, “Are you scared?” I answered, “Just enough to make it exciting.” Even though I had a moment of sheer terror when I nearly toppled over myself and had to stop the bike from barreling over my back and head, Lori noted, “At least you’re laughing.” This adventure was somewhat out of my comfort zone. But I want to be someone who adventures in life... this is one of my favorite things about being with Lori. Life becomes the adventure. The value of taking that step beyond what feels safe was not only a complete thrill, but also a chance to learn something new about life and myself. Maybe the trick is to view every day as an adventure, seek out the thrill in every-day life. But, I made it to the Phoenix... which apparently makes me an official "Dirt Diva."




After biking, we picked up Arielle from the bus stop, had a snack, played Go Fish, and then went to Lily’s volleyball game. 



For dinner, Lori and I had a night out in Bend. We went to McMenamin’s for dinner and then to a Wine and Chocolate bar for dessert.



Upon coming home, we did inversions on Lori’s yoga swing, practiced staying off the ground on the balance board, and revisited some writings from grad school. For bedtime, Arielle, Teddy, and I read some Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss before turning in for the night.

The following morning, John made broccoli and Swiss cheese quiche, which we ate all together before I had to leave for Seattle. The Three Sisters were covered with snow from the night before. It was a beautiful morning. 



After my sad goodbyes, I headed out for my 6-hour journey to Seattle. Bend was sunny and clear. Going through Mt. Hood was a bit scary because it was snowing. Fortunately, it wasn’t quite cold enough to have the snow stick to the ground, so I made it out safely. When I came to Portland, it was raining harder than I have ever seen before. In fact, I had to turn up my audio recording of The Untouchable (which I would NOT recommend… it is the first novel I haven’t liked from my Contemporary British Fiction syllabus) because I could barely hear it through the loud smacking of raindrops on my car. The road from Portland to Seattle was interspersed with rain, but when I arrived to the city, it was sunny skies with clouds off in the distance. I made it to the conference, and now I am preparing to see Shelley and Brad.

No comments:

Post a Comment